S48 Mafia Game VI - Lucky Piece (Game Over)

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by gideon123, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Decreez

Decreez Kenkyuusei

^ Yeppers. Sooooo.... wanna try and lynch me on Day One of the next game ? XDDDD [hehe] :hehe: :awesome:

2. Naomi

Naomi Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

Ah, he was the Jester? In the final write-up, I thought he killed others or something, so I was thinking he was something else in addition. Nevermind. [blush]

(And good job at getting everyone to lynch you. xD)

3. AikyiTaizne

AikyiTaizne Kenkyuusei

Sure thing.
    It really doesn't matter to me whether you were a Jester or not =/

I knew it was most likely that, or you had to activate an ability so I saw no harm in lynching you anyways. To be honest, I don't see too much benefit from a normal Jester role =X

Besides, if you had tricked us, I would have used my kill on you (even though I died that night)

4. Naomi

Naomi Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

That's why I was trying to get everyone to not lynch him. xD I couldn't vote anyone because SOMEONE STOLE my vote.

If I had known he was the Jester, I wouldn't have minded voting anyway, as long as the game didn't end because of it (that would have been hilarious xD). Plus seeing the kraken show up at the end was awesome. :XD: The kraken might be one of my favorite characters after Tree in Mafia 4. :lol:

5. Decreez

Decreez Kenkyuusei

Awwwww, it's nice to see how much all of you care about me :awesome:
    Did someone put a target on my back just now ? [hehe]

6. ra-nyan

ra-nyan Kenkyuusei

I fixed it for ya ;)

7. gideon123

gideon123 Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

Character PM's: The Independents

flagator21

Update - New Ojbective
    The idea of the Marine as the Serial Killer kinda just popped up during a conversation with Cy online one night, and I think I used process of elimination assign Mariko to the role. She just seemed the toughest for the role.

I played around with her nickname ("Mariko-sama") to get her character name - "Mari" was changed to "Mary," "ko" was changed to "Girl," and "sama" was changed to "MIss." And then I rearranged the words so it it makes sense in English. (Actually, the original names for each character weren't required, but since characters in One Piece have some pretty unique names and I came up with some of the names already, I figured I'd give it a shot and give every character a unique name.) And the character description was just...kinda tossed together. But in a way such that people can't figure out her role under investigation.

I didn't realize that some people would get the impression that another player would be the Admiral. I just used an Admiral in the narrative for story purposes. Moreover, it wasn't later on that I could've somehow used the Buster Call to destroy everyone, but that would've been really difficult to implement at least in terms of game mechanics without potentially making the game imbalanced.

And I had to update the Marine's game objective, because if I didn't there'd be know the Marine would win since the Tree can't be killed. I actually had a story involving the Tree and the Marine assuming that Kraken wasn't lynched, but since it never panned out, I can try posting it later on as some sort of "Alternate Ending" to the game.

Decreez

I didn't recall ever seeing a Jester in any of the Mafia games that I've played, so I figured I'd give it a go for Mafia 6. And to make the Jester a bit more interesting, I opted to make it a Kraken. And here again, I used process of elimination to select Aika for the role. Her "tsundere" style seemed to fit the troll-like style of a Jester.

I kinda struggled with the character name, but after playing around with some combinations settled for something that was akin to "Tony Tony Chopper" - "Rabu Rabu Aika." And the character description was also just tossed together on a whim.

At one point, Cy was like, "Yo, I'm getting this vibe that we're secretly hoping that the Kraken wins." And honestly...I kinda did. Originally I planned on having the game end right after the Kraken got lynched, but later on I decided to just count the Kraken's win upon lynching, and then wait until the very end after everyone else played through the game. I didn't want to screw everyone out of a good game experience, and I didn't want to screw myself over after working so hard to set things up. I did get worried after the Kraken got poisoned, but I'm glad the lynch still went through. Because I got to come up with the crazy ending. :D

Originally I thought narrating the Kraken such that she talked and acted like a brat, but it never really panned out. Oh well. *shrugs*

8. katastr0phical1

katastr0phical1 Kenkyuusei

Yeah. Real awesome. :glare:

stupidjesterdestroyingtheshipandkillingmyfriends

9. AikyiTaizne

AikyiTaizne Kenkyuusei

Wanna go get some lunch? Im craving for some fried Kraken :hmm:

10. Decreez

Decreez Kenkyuusei

^ A lunch gathering ??? Hook me up me matey ! :awesome:

11. twilightkappa

twilightkappa Kenkyuusei

We could hook you up all right... hook you over an open fire and slowly roast ya :nasty:

12. polyrhythm

polyrhythm Kenkyuusei

^ I LIKE THE SOUND OF THAT. LET'S DO IT

:XD:

13. Decreez

Decreez Kenkyuusei

Whyyyyyy ?!?!?!?! :cry: :cry:
    What did I do wrong ?? :awesome:

14. kuumined

kuumined Kenkyuusei

Sure thing! let me go catch the karken first and we can feast on his lovely body.
    maybe you should add some wasabi with it

15. gideon123

Aye...

...it be Taka D. Monkey.

Arrr. :pirate:

(Seriously, I found the pic online and totally LOL'ed. Totally grateful for someone finally posting it at the forum. For me to quote and repost her. :D)

16. AikyiTaizne

AikyiTaizne Kenkyuusei

Sorry if you're working on this and it's just taking a long time, but I was wondering if we'll be getting the rest of the character PMs and stuff? ._.

Also, when you have time, points as well ><

17. gideon123

Character PM's: The Mutiny

champloo26

Update - New Ojbective
    This here was a case where Cy and I came up with a character based off of the Straw Hat Pirates. Since Rie pointed out how much she likes Sanji (this Cy recalled well from AKB48's NOKIA performance in LA), I went with Rie as the "Sanji" of the Ribbon Pirates.

The name was kinda easy to cook up (just had to look at her face :)), but the character description was kinda tricky since I didn't wanna give away the fact that she's the Ribbon Pirate's chef, and in turn one of the Mutiny. So I ended up with "Unagi of the North" since she's been likened to an unagi, and she's got the word for north ("kita") in her name.

And like the Marine, I had to update the Mutiny's game objective, because if I didn't there'd be know they'd be able to win because of the Tree. I also had a story in mind had the Mutiny won, but I guess I can try posting it later on as another "Alternate Ending" to the game.

A shame Rie was killed by Night Kil since I think I could've come up with a good dialogue for her had she been forced to walk the plank, but oh well. I did what I could with what I had on hand.
    KoopaCandy

Update - New Ojbective
    Here was a case where I came up with the role first, and then later on assigned the AKB member. Since I wanted to have the Godfather appear innocent under investigation, I opted to use Yuko since her acting skills are pretty convincing.

As for the name, I've been mentally referring to Yuko as just plain "Yook," so I used it in the game, though in hindsight, I think it might've looked more aesthetically appealing written out as "Yuuk." *shrugs* Anyway, I ended up adding the "Lady" part later on. Thought it had a nice ring to it - "Lady Yook" - and it added to the Godfather feel. Also turned out to be helpful when coming up with her back-story. And the "Big Island Talent" came from her name - "Oshima" means "Big Island," and "Yuuko" roughly means "Talented Girl."

I also wanted to have the Godfather immune to night kills, so I modeled her fruit ability after Diamond Jozu. Originally I figured I'd have the player declare a Night Action to use the diamond-diamond fruit ability since Jozu had to consciously activate it in the manga, but since Tomo Tomo Chiyuu-per looked pretty powerful on paper, I decided to make the diamond ability automatic. I opted to have Yuko vulnerable to poisoning since she can still eat food while in diamond form, and I didn't bother to include protection to day kills since there wasn't anyone with a day kill ability. (Though from a story sense, it might be weird to be in diamond form constantly.) And of course, Yuko can't swim as a devil fruit user, so she was definitely killed by walking the plank.

I really was sad to see Koopa go, but I did my best anyway to narrate Yuko's departure well. And like I said before, I was kinda relieved to not have to narrate Yuko's death, hehe.
    Naomi

Update - New Ojbective
    Here I came up with the role first and then filled everything else later. And Takajo was used because she seemed like a good choice for the role.

Her name was a combination of play on words. "Jo" came from "Takajo" and making it "Jo-Jo" had a nice ring to it. The "Tea" part came from her self-introduction with all the different teas. Her character description came up from the fact that I wanted a role-blocker in the Mutiny, and by course of conversation Cy and I decided to classify abilities as either Fruit Ability (an ability acquired by a Devil Fruit) and Class Ability (an ability acquired by a more conventional means, like formal training), and at most have one of each for each player. Sakiko was the designated "Nico Robin" and her role-blocking ability was based off of a Devil Fruit ability, so this role-blocker ended up being Class-based. Rope work seemed like a good way to go, so from there I associated Takajo with Paulie since he uses ropes, and that in turn made her one of the maintenance officers.

Having Takajo as the "Paulie" of the Ribbon Pirates also helped me flesh out the character relationships. Mayu (M.A.Y.U.) was the "Frankie"-equivalent, and as the maker of the Don Quijote she was the senior maintenance officer. That would place Takajo as a middle maintenance officer, and Nakatuska (Chrissy Chriss) as an apprentice maintenance officer. So when Takajo was forced to walk the plank, Nakatsuka was there to cry and feel betrayed by her senior.
    polyrhythm

Update - New Ojbective
    Here's another case where the role came first. And again, I figured Uchida fit the role well.

The name came up from the fact that she won the Janken Tournament, and the character description came from the fact that she's one of the more junior members of AKB. (She didn't become an official member until after the Team restructuring.)

Both the cop role and the junior aspect worked out well because I was able to come up with a compelling back-story. I already had a Day Cop (Sae) and a Night Cop (Sayaka) on the Ribbon Pirates side, so I used them as Uchida's primary seniors. (Kinda worked with the real world since Sae and Sayaka are Uchida's seniors in Team K.) And since the Mutiny Cop knows who's not in their faction, I stepped the role up to Cop+ and tied that in with a "junior complex" to give Uchida motivation to go Mutiny. All this also worked out well when Uchida was forced to walk the plank, because I was able to write out Sayaka breaking down in tears from feeling betrayed by her junior.

And her choice of weapon - a saber - was just arbitrarily picked because I couldn't think of any other weapon for her. I guess you can say that the saber is a pseudo-Marine weapon since Sae and Sayaka are former Marines so they'd still know a bit of swordplay, and by association Uchida would know some swordplay, too, and in turn use a saber as her own weapon.

18. gideon123

Character PM's: The Ribbon Pirates (Part 1)

Cristafari

Here was a case where Cy and I modeled the character of a One Piece character, namely Nico Robin. And I forgot how I ended up assigning Sakiko to the role. Might've been from just process of elimination. Or her name.

Cy and I tossed name ideas around, and settled with using "Sakiko" since it ends in "ko," and Nico's name ends in "co" which sounds like "ko." Then Cy and I tossed ideas for a last name, and we settle on "Nightingale," since it seems like a lovely bird. Kinda like Sakiko's a lovely person. And also, the nightingale is a song bird, which worked well with Sakiko who's a musician. And the character description was modeled after the fact that she's plays piano. And since Sakiko's modeled after Nico, I simply set up Sakiko's back story such that's she's looking for information on music and its origins rather than history like Nico.

And setting up Sakiko as the Role-Blocker was pretty easy. Nico's used her extra appendages to bind people in the manga, so Cy and I figured it'd work for the game.
    RocketStarLauncher

Here was another case where the the role came first and then everything else came afterwards. Literally. Like, the idea of this role came up during Mafia 4, and from there the One Piece-themed game took off. And Umeda was picked for the role because of her name.

I think this character name was one of the weaker ones I came up for the game. I couldn't think of anything clever, so I just used the "U~me!" from one of her self-introductions. And for stylistic purposes, I used the swung dash and exclamation point. The character description based of Umeda's last name which roughly means "plum field," and the "Beauty" bit was thrown there since...well, I think she's pretty. Plus, "Plum Field Beauty" has a nice ring to it. And then from there, it was easy to make up the back-story.

On paper, the Devil Fruit Tree seemed like a good idea, but as the game progressed I realized how OP the Tree became. Like, the Tree could give away fruits to other players, and then figure who's who from the narrative without any repercussions (i.e. get killed). To balance things out, I think I should've separated the role such that there's a Tree who can't be killed, and some Fruit Peddler who can give away fruits, but can be killed. Or maybe keep the Devil Fruit Tree intact but then give it a contingency where the player can't post once it becomes a Tree, or can't post the day after giving away a fruit.

I thought about using that contingency in One Piece where a character will die after consuming two Devil Fruits, but since so many Ribbon Pirates consumed Devil Fruits already, I was afraid characters would die left and right, and that would imbalance the game in favor of the Marine and the Mutiny.

And here are the abilities tied to each fruit:

1.) Fruit A - Cop
    2.) Fruit B - Role-Blocker
    3.) Fruit C - Doctor
    4.) Fruit D - Vigilante
    5.) Fruit E - "Brook" (Survive one death except for a lynch)
    7.) Fruit F - Townie
    8.) Fruit G - Suicidal Townie

All but the Suicidal Towne fruit were used in the game, but man...I had a pretty interesting narrative for the (unfortunate?) player who ended up eating that. (Maybe I can post it as a "Bonus Material" if I get the chance.) And by the way, the Devil Fruit Tree could've eaten the fruits, too. But if the player did do that...then man, that be one ridiculous character, haha! This, of course, until they eat the Suicidal Townie fruit. :p
    Gobolino

Here, the girl (Rino) actually came first, and the rest of character came afterwards. During the brainstorming process, I had an idea where Rino would get excited over Trafalgar Law since that's her favorite One Piece character in real life, but it never quite happened due to the flow of the game and the fact that she died of poisoning. :-/

I originally wanted to call her "MC Rins" since she mentioned rapping in her blog, and I've been calling her "Rins" in my head for some time now. Courtesy of immo. (As a matter of fact, I collectively call my top two oshi, "Yuuk and Rins". And if I wanna include my No. 3, it'd be "Yuuk, (and) Rins, and Takamins." As in Takahashi. And the "and" is optional.) Anyway, I recalled that Rino called herself U-Bee (as in "yubi" which is a way to read the "Sashi" in "Sashihara") in her blog, so I rolled with it. And the character description was modeled off of the fact that she's the "Hetare Queen" of AKB, and well...she raps. Sorta. LOL.

And since she's the "Hetare Queen," I originally figured I'd make her a Naive Doctor. After all, she likes Law, so her character is aiming to be a doctor like Law, but isn't quite there yet. But then I felt bad about trolling the player like that. I felt kinda trolled back in Mafia 4 when I didn't get the full Tree experience, so I didn't want the player going through the same thing. (And as a matter fact, Cy and I talked about this online. He was like, "Hey, at least it's not like, "The tree cannot be killed...oh, wait! The tree CAN be killed. By any means. Small typo there. Sorry about that.'" And yeah. I LOL'ed. One of the many times Cy helped me keep my sanity during Mafia 6.) So I then decided to just make Rino a Weak Doctor - not as gimp as I originally planned, but still has her flaws. And besides, with so many killing roles on deck, I figured it'd be all right to let Rino be able to protect people. To some extent. :)

19. gideon123

Character PM's: The Ribbon Pirates (Part 2)

kirakirahanabi

For this character, I decided on the role first since I didn't recall ever seeing a White Mage before in Mafia. And then assigned Maeda Ami to the role since she seemed like a good choice.

The character name came up after a period of creative drought. Like, I was stuck for a while but then ended up with "Browston" because of Ami's prominent eyebrows. And the "Chu" bit came up soon afterwards because I thought of names for Chinese Americans with a Western name and a Chinese family name. (Maybe I should've gone with both a "Westernized" name and a "Chinese-ish" name for this character.) And besides, "Browston Chu" had a bit of a nice ring to it. At least I thought so.

I was kinda stuck for a while as to HOW I'd narrate the White Mage protecting people, especially when I set it up such that Ami can protect a different person every night. I figured the protection would be spell-based like in different role-playing games, and with a little help from Final Fantasy X-2 I opted to narrate the protection as a prayer. Made sense since White Mages have a holy vibe to 'em, and their protections could be faith-based. And when the prayer-based protection was put to action on Night Six to protect Silver Rain/Chiyuu-per from the deflected bullet, I narrated it with a flash kinda like when the barrier is struck in Final Fantasy 7. (Yeah, Final Fantasy obviously had an influence over my creativity.) And the whole combination of Ami and the White Mage made it easy for Cy and me to piece together the back-story for Ami.
    kuumined

Again, the role came first when coming up with this character, and the AKB girl (Nakatsuka) was assigned after the fact.

The name here I think is one of my weaker names. Like...I just couldn't think of anything fancy, so I went with her nickname, Chris, and just played around with it. And the character description came about after playing around with her backstory. Like, I was running out of tasks on the ship for each member to do, so I figured I'd put her with the maintenance crew. And it made sense to me to make Nakatsuka an apprentice since she's one of the newer AKB members relative to 1st and 2nd Generation members, like Taka and Sayaka.

The idea to use the Ribbit-Ribbit Fruit instead of the usual explosive Bomb role came up because the conventional lynch was replaced by a walk along the plank, and the typical explosion might not have worked because it would've either missed since the person's at the of the of the plank, or it would've hit more people than one person. (Yeah, I tried keeping things within the constraints of believability despite the whole game being a work of fiction.) So I needed a way of singling out the last person who lynched this character, and with hands tied, I ended up using the tongue. Like a frog. And it was doable since I could've just had Nakatsuka eat a frog-based Zoan fruit in her back-story before joining the Ribbon Pirates. And for the Night Kill, Cy and I figured Nakatsuka could poison the killer into paralysis - and in turn death - like those brightly colored frogs you'd find in the Amazon. Or as Cy put it, "in National Geographic." Anyway, since I didn't get to narrate Nakatsuka's ability in action, I think I'll feature it as a "Bonus Material" if I get the chance.
    Rin

Here again the role came first. I didn't recall seeing a Commuter in the previous games, so I figured I'd give it a go in Mafia 6. And Nakagawa was picked for the role - like most everyone else - by process of elimination.

The name was actually easy for me to come up with. I thought of Nakagawa's nickname, "Harugon," and then thought of the movie/novel "Gone With The Wind" because of how "gon" and "Gone" sound the same. And since "Haru" can mean "spring" depending on the kanji, I went with "Gone With The Spring." (By the way, the "Haru" in Haruka's name means something like, "far off" or "distant," but it didn't dawn on me at the time. And besides, I don't think I'd have been able to come up with an equally interesting name.) Anyway, while coming up with the name itself was easy, writing out a decent explanation for the name was a little challenging because I had to make it all make sense to the player, LOL. And the character description came up because I figured it'd be a good way to explain why Nakagawa leaves the ship every other night. I mean...it'd be a little odd to have a pirate commute to and from their ship when usually pirates live ON the ship, ya know?

And since the setting takes place on a ship out in the middle of the sea, I had to be a little creative with the Commuter ability, so I went with a bird-type Zoan like Pell and then modified it to an albatross since that's a seabird. Actually also went with an albatross because of that Disney, "The Rescuers Down Under." The albatross was a pretty big bird in that movie, and I figured it'd be the right size for game. And it turned out well because I was able to use the albatross's size to accommodate two other characters during the end-game narrative when the kraken was destroying the Don Quijote.

Anyway, I had an idea for an instance when the players voted to lynch Rin/Nakagawa while she was off the ship, so I'll try featuring it as a "Bonus Material" if I get the chance later on.

20. gideon123

Character PM's: The Ribbon Pirates (Part 3)

phantom

Here, Cy and I tried to created a character based off of one of the Straw Hat Pirates, namely Nami. We did some brainstorming, and ended up on a Thief since Nami used to be a swindler in One Piece. And then Chikano was picked after a process of elimination.

The character name came about because both Chikano and Fujie were image girls for Mother Farm, and the CM song featured the line, "Moo moo me~ me~." The character description came about because Nami's the navigator for the Straw Hat Pirates. And somehow I managed to tie it all together into an interesting back-story.

The only trick I encountered here was coming up with items that Chikano steals that pertained to the targets' character or abilities. The Mafia wiki suggested coming up with items beforehand, but due to time constraints I figured I'd come up with the items over the course of the game and then afterwards get Cy's feedback.
    issa

Here again Cy and I tried to model a character off of one the Straw Hat Pirates. We thought a bit about the "Zoro" of the Ribbon Pirates, and ended up going with a Vigilante. Since Zoro had an eye slashed out by the end of the 2-year time jump in One Piece, Cy figured we could use Itano for the character since she wears an eye patch in the "Lucky Seven" PV.

The character name was originally pulled from Itano's character in Majisuka Gakuen, Shibuya. However, I ended up modifying it a bit to make it sound Chinese and warrior-like, like Li Mu Bai from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. The character description was pulled from the 109 department store in Shibuya, Tokyo as well as some creative play on Itano's warrior character. And then the back-story came up over the course of some more brainstorming.

Of all the characters that we came up with, I think Shi Bu Ya was one of my favorites. She just seemed so badass with her story of revenge and her three-sword killing ability. And I was really sad when she had to die, like "Awww...her path of revenge ends here," but I did my best to narrate a death worth remembering.
    sada

Here was another case where Cy and I modeled our character off of an existing Straw Hat Pirate, namely Usopp. Since Usopp built a wide assortment of devices over the course of One Piece, we went with an Inventor. And Asuka was just picked by process of elimination.

The first part of the character name came from the fact that Usopp's workshop is located in the lower level of the Straw Hat Pirate's ship, the Thousand Sunny, with the Energy Room one level above it. I went with something similar for Asuka where her workshop is placed in the lower level of the Don Quijote but the Cola Room is located right next to it. (The mechanical devices on the Thousand Sunny are powered by cola, so I had the Don Quijote have some devices powered by cola, too. However, I opted to rename the Energy Room as the Cola Room.) So from "cola" I thought of "refrigerator" and then finally "cool." The second part of the name just came from Asuka's nicname, Mochii. The name worked out well since it can be treated as a play on words (the Japanese food, mochi, can be served chilled). The character name came from the fact that Asuka's an Inventor and her workshop is next to the Cola Room, so she can take care of the technical stuff over there. And then from there, I managed to piece together her back-story.

Here is what each invention did:

1.) Invention A - Investigate (like a Cop+)
    2.) Invention B - Role-Block (like a Role-Blocker)
    3.) Invention C - Protect (like a Doctor)
    4.) Invention D - Kill (like a Vigilante)
    5.) Invention E - Wild Card (one of the above effects chosen at random)

And the end-game narrative worked out well because I managed to incorporate an escape pod invented by Asuka before she died. A shame she didn't live long enough in the game to use it herself, but at least helped the other survivors, na mean?