Should AKB48 be in the Opening Ceremony of the 2020 Olympics?

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by Kuchi-Chan, Feb 2, 2015.

1. flutterbyu

flutterbyu Member

Oshimen:
    Okada Nana
    Well and it is a consideration that we are talking about 5 years from now. There are some pretty strong indicators that AKB's popularity has started to decline. They are still extremely popular now, sure, but in 5 years? Maybe maybe not. It's too soon to say really

I feel like some people are in denial that there is even a possibility that AKB will be much less relevant in 5 years time, but it's a real possibility. Not saying they're going away, but they may fade back and some other group or style takes their current place.

2. Reveen

Reveen Under Girls

I posted the list of London performers like 10 posts ago, did you not read them? Here they are again if that's the case

Some of those haven't been in the charts for decades, hell a couple of them aren't even alive! Don't you get it, it's not necessary to be "new" or "fresh" or "relevant" or "popular" or whatever other buzzword you want to use. Part of the criteria is to have made an impact on the pop culture or music culture of the nation, it wasn't based solely on who was in the charts in 2012.

3. flutterbyu

flutterbyu Member

Oshimen:
    Okada Nana
    Well has AKB really had an impact on the music culture of the nation? They're certainly not the first large idol group, or the first idol group to wear lots of school uniforms, and they won't be the last.
    Just playing the devil's advocate

4. Reveen

Reveen Under Girls

Jesus wept, of course they've had an impact, it's hard to believe you actually wrote that.

5. MocchiMooch

MocchiMooch Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iriyamaanna
    Uhh. No.

The committee would be selling Japan short if they used AKB for the opening ceremony. Like out of all the Japanese acts out there, you pick.... AKB? Absolutely not.

I'm not going to put on blinders and use my tunnel visioned bias to convince myself or anyone else that they're revolutionary or amazingly talented or inherently representative of Japan. I like them, but they're the last act I would choose to represent Japan.

Plus.. will they even be around in 2020? 48G can only stick around for so long... I'm predicting that in a few years, they'll go the same way as SDN... vanished into thin air, once everyone finds something new to throw their money at.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  6. xcrossfacekillahx

xcrossfacekillahx Member

Oshimen:
    hondahitomi
    Twitter:
    crossfacekillah
    5 years is a really long time and comparing them to the artists up there shouldn't be a measuring stick if they get in or not. With them breaking sales records, that's the thing they claim to fame and probably having a lot of members. They didn't change anything on the music culture. I do think it's a long shot for them to get in because of that.

7. makimaki93

makimaki93 Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Habu Mizuho
    Why not AKB? To represent Japan, solely and only? No, because Japan is more than that. But as a country that embellishes and turns to its pop-culture in what is probably the most severe case of national escapism ever; to ignore AKB's presence as being a major force of pop-culture would be like ignoring your pinky finger.

Is it really important? No. But it's still a part of your hand (until evolution rids of it completely). <--- this is an analogy

Japan is special in preserving and showing the world its traditions but it is also always been proud of its pop-culture; to ignore either or of the two would be like showing only one side of a coin. There would be no harm done in showing both sides, but you have to show both sides in its entirety. You can't just ignore such a large force like AKB.

Do they have to be the main focus? Of course not. Maybe if they were included to such a degree like they were in the Disney Medley during Kohaku years ago that would be more appropriate, but to ignore them completely or have them be the sole representative...neither is right.

But this is all said, assuming they are still such a force in 2020.

I also want to go on a bit of tangent (it's still related to the article) about what the comedian lady said in the article; something about doing something more quiet would be more Japanese (correct me if I completely made that up, I swear I read that).

As a Japanese person myself, Japan is very capable of being both very serene and peaceful and being loud and noisy. I don't agree with her using that as some sort of con against having a ceremony being loud and flashy. I mean she's only always on variety shows with sets that are loud and flashy, and there only several popular places that are loud and flashy. Japan is all about balance between traditions and progress (in tech., culture, style, etc.). It would be very non Japanese to only show the world one side.

P.S. sorry for any confusing language. English isn't my first, but I tried :p

8. うぃむ33

うぃむ33 Kenkyuusei

First, I think the thread should be titled "closing ceremony" instead of opening, that's what most are talking about and probably where they will be performing.

And in an olympic closing ceremony, usually ~30 artists perform. They are chosen for either being popular, or having an impact, or being very well known, all within the last 30-40 or so years before the olympics.

So what is the list of 30 japanese musicians in the last 30-40 years are more well known/popular than AKB?

So many people in this thread are saying they won't be popular in 2020, but that is not what is looked at for inclusion. It's being popular/very well known within the last ~40 years.

AKB is the most talked about group in Japan in the last ~4/5 years (both +/-). If u guys don't think they have made an impact, u probably haven't lived in Japan. You can't go one day without seeing some AKB either talked about on tv or cm's or their music. That doesn't happen with 90% of other groups out there now.

It's not blinders, it's just the reality of the situation.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  9. Hitsuji

Hitsuji Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    watanabemayu
    ^ Honestly, I think you're right.

No matter who is chosen for the opening and closing ceremonies, they are going to be one of a number of performers. I've little doubt that there will be other J pop groups performing, as well as Enka singers and more cultrally 'traditional' musicians. Idols are just as much a part of the current Japan as any other element.

I have to slightly disagree here. Until recently, I'd never heard of babymetal, or any other jpop or kpop group. Jpop is something I've had to actively search out. It's not something that I, many of my friend or my parents generation have every really had much exposure to. As you said, AKB Hasn't achieved the global success of groups like, ie, the Spice Girls. But niether has anyone else. Basically, no matter which contemporary performers are chosen, most westerners, eastern europeans, Africans (basically most of the world) are going to have no idea who they are. The spectacle of the performance is what will matter.

Few other idol groups have made such an impact, as is reflected by the constant media that surround the group and it's members. From magazines, to tv programs to ads, the top members are everywhere. Also, remember the stabbing insident involving Kawaei Rina and Iriama Anna? It made it to the news and paper where I live. In Australia. The only other Japanese singer - of any description - who I can remember doing this is the recent event where a 3b junior was put into a coma after a helium stunt on tv. So AKB is one of those groups that, despite singing in a language that many of us here cannot understand, have reached us. If you think that isnt true, then you're forgetting that your discussing a foriegn pop group, who sing in a different language to the one you're typing, on a site where members find it important to discusses (read 'argues') about the various individual merits of the many, many members.

No one is saying that they're going to be a major part, but I really do think that they will have a part.. Five years can be both a lifetime, and no time at all. Even if AKB has fallen of the radar, I wouldn't be suprised to see some of the key members from the past having at least a small role ( ie the Oshima Yuko, Maeda Atsuko, Watanabe Mayu, Matsui Jurina and Shinoda Mariko's of the group).

Unless something goes seriously wrong, I'm fairly sure we'll see at least a representative of AKB performing.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  10. Kiri

Kiri Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    岡田奈々 / 손채영
    I think the real question here is, why should they? I love akb48, but i'm not gonna pretend that they are the best that japan's music industry has to offer.

PD: you shouldn't make yourself an opinion based on that article.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  11. SorrowAir

SorrowAir Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki
    They may become more popular with more exposure, and the criticism will also increase.
    If they can survive the criticism, they will undoubtedly come out much stronger

Remember Gamergate? How gamers united together despite the world being absolutely against them, yell "F*ck you" to political correctness and feminist propoganda.
    Video games in turn cracked feminism's seemingly invincible armor, brought political correctness and hatred from the media to it's knees, and come out far more socially accepted world wide.

In short, you're simply not confident in 48G, frankly, you find 48G embarrassing.

When people ask me what music group I like, I tell them AKB.
    I'm fully aware many not many will get 48G, those that do, they do. The more people support 48, the better it's chances.

I know, I was in the politically correct side, I had a negative opinion of Sashi before I even know what Heavy Rotation sound like. All because of the biased, politically correct media reporting GARBAGE!!

12. x_AozoraKataomoi_x

x_AozoraKataomoi_x Member

Oshimen:
    takeisara
    Twitter:
    X2783
    Sadly, even men in their 30's are getting tired of the 48 groups. Men prefer rock and hip-hop anyway. Most people want plain old slow rock, most women prefer singer-songwriters, and most idol fans want new idol groups (given the success of Sekigahara, TIF, Idol Koshien, etc.). These factors can compromise 48G even further.

EDIT: It's even worse that some idol groups have declined male demographics according to Joysound.

13. Nuneul

Nuneul Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    shidamanaka
    at least if they don't perform at the Olympics, there's a few other big sports events occuring in Japan in the next 4 years. first that comes in my mind is the 4 first stages of the 2018 Giro d'Italia, one of the three biggest pro cycling races in the world. but this won't be the only one. in the 4 coming years, 48G will obviously get to perform in front of a worldwide audience.

14. leocgomes

leocgomes Member Stage48 Donor

I guess it's kinda early to even speculate who may be playing in Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympics opening ceremony. We don't even know if there will still be a 48G by the time.

I would like to see them playing there but I really don't know if idol groups are something that Japan would like to include in a event for the world. It would depend on what they would be trying to show.

15. Zerase

Zerase Member

Oshimen:
    miyawakisakura
    Of course not, 46 Group will perform instead

16. Trinu

Trinu Under Girls

Are you saying that people accept now those who hacked and leaked personal information of other people? Really?
    And... what is wrong with feminism now? :fp:

@YagiNako sorry, but this doesn't really deserve a thread on its own. It has been discussed AD INFINITUM in the AKB thread since Tokyo as selected as host city.

17. Reveen

Reveen Under Girls

With the modern interpretation of feminism aka third wave aka radfem?...pretty much everything. Check out the videos on youtube by Janice Fiamengo, Christina Hoff Sommers or Karen Straughan and you'll get an idea why

18. Trinu

Trinu Under Girls

You're talking then about a niche movement (and usually the loudest).

Feminism existed before Emma Watson talked in the UN, you know.
    Without feminism women would never have voted and would still have no say in what to do with their bod... ohwait.

Of course there are crazy people around, but that's everywhere.
    But implying that feminism is wrong is like saying there's no reason to celebrate Gay Pride (in the West) because we aren't being stoned to death and we can get married.

I sometimes think people have more trouble accepting the nomenclature than the movement itself.
    Is it the FEM in feminism? Does it make men feel like femenine traits are better accepted than their macho attitudes?
    Is ti the Pride in Gay Pride? Does it make straight people feel like they too deserve a day for themselves to fight for their straightness?

19. MLG Faze Rain_Quickscope

MLG Faze Rain_Quickscope Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    miyawakisakura
    I wouldn't mind having 48 do some collaborations with other artists.

I hear Wagakki Band, a band I like is gonna be there. Would love to see them collaborate

20. mochichan

mochichan Kenkyuusei

....................whut??? [​IMG]