Technicalities

Discussion in 'The STAGE48 Lobby' started by hanabi, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Basstian

Basstian Kenkyuusei

again, I share this opinion, but I haven't dissuaded (is it the right word?^^) the AMD nor recommended it to her, where did you read that? I even told her that she doesn't have to worry about the 2,1GHz of the AMD.
    This was my main reason, why I would go with the 2nd option.
    The thing you quoted is just the explanation of my opinion I made especially for you :) .
    I think you wouldn't buy a "wrong" or "bad" part with a common CPU.
    sorry, if I'm a bit fussy about this, but as I share your opinion, I was quite a bit angry that someone implies me that I would do something like this... I apologized already, if you got me wrong.

2. Zobii

Zobii Member

Oshimen:
    minegishiminami
    ^ Funny that. [hehe] I reckon I was actually more at fault...XD sorry [bow]

Gomennasai! Moshiwake gozaimasen. [bow] Corrected! :^^;:

3. MERC

MERC Kenkyuusei

I'm not saying that you convinced her not to get it, but it could have convinced others since you said that you didn't like it without giving a technical reason. This could have been misleading to others as it mislead me on your actual opinion and intentions.

Sorry for the comment about the onboard thing. I didn't realize that was specifically targeted at me

I guess we have both just misunderstood each other's comments.

4. Basstian

Basstian Kenkyuusei

^ it's ok.

I thought about it and I should have explained it properly in the first place.
    You're right, that just an opinion could misslead others, but I wasn't really aware of that... I will try to be more precise from now on when it comes to technicalities.

I'm gonna read a bit more about AMDs APUs and intels equivalents, My needs in Computers are pretty low nowadays, I don't want to spend much money on them either and who knows, maybe I'm getting one of these in the future...

no way, I should be the one apologizing... [bow]

[hehe] my father uses my old one, its about 8 years old too... its slow and NOISY as hell, lol.

5. ce1cius

ce1cius Kenkyuusei

So I plan to get Battlefield 3 on PS3... but I was also considering getting it on PC since I poured a ton of hours into Battlefield 2 and 2142 back in the day, plus I'm a PC gamer at heart...

Here's the question, looking at my specs would just upgrading the graphics card be sufficient in playing the game at rather High settings and have generally good fps.

Current specs
    CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q6700@3.2GHz
    Ram: 4GB
    Video: ATI/AMD HD4870
    HDD: 500GB, 1TB
    Sound: X-Fi XtremeMusic
    Monitor: Samsung T240HD @ 1920x1200

Looking at this chart, they suggest to go three tiers higher than your current card. I was mainly looking to get a AMD HD6950 2GB...

Or would I probably get bottlenecked with my processor once I have that card, in which case I'd be better off just upgrading the whole pc? I'm just curious if I can hold off having to upgrade the whole PC a bit longer... Playing the beta my frame rates where all over the place, though mostly in the lower digits..

Any input would be appreciated. ^_^

6. MERC

MERC Kenkyuusei

I have a 6870 and I was able to play the beta on high settings with around 60fps. I don't recall what the exact price and performance difference is between the 6950 and 6870, but it may not be worth the extra cash at 1920x1080 since I know the 6950 is much better at ultra high resolutions comparatively than at the mid level ones due to its higher amount of memory and lower clock speed. From what I recall, the 6870 is actually slightly better at 1920x1080, but don't quote me on that.

As for your other parts, games are mostly GPU intensive so things like your CPU won't matter as much, but as you said, it could be a bottleneck. I recommend that you first upgrade your graphics card to see how it goes since that is more of an independent part compared to A CPU upgrade which generally requires a new mobo and/or RAM. If you are still having issues at higher settings, then you could upgrade your other parts.

Also from what I read on Gamespot (I think it was Gamespot. I couldn't find the article though), DICE did a really good job at balancing the graphics from low to high settings. They were able to make the game look really good at low settings with only finer details being affected by the bump in settings. I would also agree with this since there was a minimal difference between the settings in the beta unless you looked really closely.

When I get back from class, I'll edit this with actual performance numbers.

edit: I don't know what your price range is, but the 6950 2GB is around $280 and the 6870 is around $200 with the 6950 2GB is about 25% better on average compared to the 6870. I can't give you any recommendations on Nvidia cards for BF3 specifically since there aren't enough benchmarks for the game yet, and I am only going off of my experience from playing the beta.

7. karles48

karles48 Member Stage48 Donor

Some days ago I downloaded a file (90 Mb) from megaupload and uploaded it again. I expected it would take many minutes...but it took less than 10 seconds! [shock] At first I thought it had gone wrong, but the file was ok. The only reason I can think of is that 'megaupload' rememberer that the file was already uploaded and it only copied the file. Does anyone know whether this is true? [think]

8. Zobii

Zobii Member

Oshimen:
    minegishiminami
    ^
    So that suggests that Megaupload did a scan of the file and checked that it was identical to the previous one at upload? Or else it would wrongly remember an edited file with the same name... ? Just a speculation. [wonder]

^
    ^
    ^ Have you considered crossfiring your current card instead? Not the best solution in the long run for many reasons but may offer a cheaper instant solution (assuming that your current card is pretty cheap now, your motherboard can and that your PSU is strong enough) especially if you're intending to replace your current system in the near future. :dunno:

9. karles48

It seems like Megaupload knew it was the same file, even though I can't guess if it compared only the name or something else... [shake]

10. ce1cius

ce1cius Kenkyuusei

@MERC
    Yeah I was sorta looking to be around the $250-$300 range. I was looking at this card mainly since it looked like some of them had the ability to be unlocked and act as a 6970 more or less. I haven't been following NVIDIA much lately myself either after I jump from a 7900GT to my current card.

@Zobii
    Interesting point, but I sorta wanted to get a DX11 card. Also I'd be able to grab a second card later and make the newer one Crossfire which is supposedly really good in performance. But doing a quick search I wasn't really able to locate the card I had. My PSU is a Seasonic 750w one which is pretty solid and I don't have too many things in the case, so that possibly could have been an option.

Anyway gives me some food for thought, thanks for the input guys!

11. ce1cius

ce1cius Kenkyuusei

Do you have an account with them? Possibly it saved it from whatever place you downloaded it from to your account for easy access.

EDIT: yikes double post sorry. -_-

12. karles48

No, I don't have any, but I guess it worked like that using some kind of 'visitor area'... [think]

13. Zobii

Zobii Member

Oshimen:
    minegishiminami
    Ah, perhaps they were keeping track of the activity on your ip and so they just "reposted" what you were upping. Alternately, what are the chances that your traffic stream was empty the very moment you uploaded making you "own" the whole stream (only if your connection is a certain type...)?
    I dunno, still guessing. [hehe]

Fair enuf, and I've heard those cards scale up an amazing amount on crossfire (like practically twice). [shock]
    I've got a 5870, just one, but I helped a friend crossfire his (i think his were 5850s actually) and performance scaled up roughly around half. =/ Still a good card by itself tho.

14. karles48

I don't think that's the reason. I tried it again with another file. At first it went slowly (like when I use mediafire) for three or four seconds and then...upload complete... [think] Well, anyway, it's something good to know.

15. Drew

Drew Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    nakanishiyuka
  16. Zobii

Zobii Member

Oshimen:
    minegishiminami
    ^ Perhaps you meant put one in. ;)

Well, all I can say is I'm glad you're happy. [clap] ;)

17. RiSbO

RiSbO Kenkyuusei

My friend has 2 5850 in crossfire and has lot of problems with that setup with 11.10 drivers... i didn't ask him did he tried with the new ones...11.11..
    Crossfire can be a bit problematic if the drivers does not work good

18. RiSbO

RiSbO Kenkyuusei

you can test it on http://www.geforce.com/GamesandApps/games/battlefield-3/GPUAnalyzer
    I got intel q9550, 4 gb of RAM, and hd6870 and it runs just fine on 1680x1050 on high with AA filtering turned off..

BTW you can add me on battlelog I play almost every day.. :D risbo_26

19. kimunlimited

kimunlimited Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    taniguchimegu
    [​IMG]

:corr:

This is what we need.

20. MuhdNurHidayat

MuhdNurHidayat Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    watanabemayu
    Twitter:
    mnh48com
    Technicalities...

Now I want to ask, why my VirtualDubMod can't load H264 AVI files? [wonder]
    I've used the same programme for encoding XviD but XviD is getting outdated now...

I want to start using x264 now...

Anyone can suggest any programmes that can mix subtitles (ASS files) into videos permanently (hardsub)?
    I want to use x264 MP4 and/or AVI...

Currently, I use:
    - Avidemux - Can load a lot videos perfectly and I can save into H264 MP4
    - MeGUI - Still confuse of its interface, some just not right... [wonder]
    - VirtualDubMod - Explained above

Additional programmes:
    - MKV Merge - To combine subtitles with videos that the subtitle can be turned off (softsub)
    - MKV Extract - To extract contents from MKV files
    - MKV info - To view the technicalities of the MKV files
    - DVD Video Soft - I'm using the AVI converter to convert FRAPS files into normal AVI files
    - Format Factory - Use it to scale down video (as my netbook don't support HD, but only for personal, fansub releases still HD, be it 720p or 1080p)
    - VideoPad Video Editor - Video editor that can load AVS scripts
    - Aegisub - To create subtitles (ASS files)

Non-video programmes:
    Installed image editors:
    - PhotoScape
    - GIMP
    - Paint.NET
    - MS Paint

Miscellaneous:
    - Puush - Upload files fast
    - IrfanView - My default MP3 player
    - Internet Download Manager - To download files really fast
    - µTorrent - To torrent faster
    - Notepad2 - To open big text-based files
    - RealPlayerMini - My default video player
    - Media Player Classic Home Cinema - Used to preview fansubs before hands it to encoder (HD) or before encode myself (non-HD)
    - VLC Media Player - RUBBISH (it stuck at "font caching", only can use for watching non-softsub videos, primirily use for hearing Malaysian online radio AuRa FM)
    - NijiTV - for watching Japanese free-to-air TV like NHK-G, TV Tokyo etc.