[EVENT] 24th Single Janken Tournament

Discussion in 'AKB48 News & Releases' started by maxaroni, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Lariemeeva

Lariemeeva Kenkyuusei

So the Janken is also part of AKB's routine now? Well I won't complain since it's the only chance Chikariina would ever have in entering senbatsu. I just have a feeling that with all those girls, she won't make it this year.

2. newAKB48fanboy

newAKB48fanboy Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    nakadakana
    worst case scenario for me would be Top 3 center positions non-AKB48 members :angry:

3. Criss

Criss Member

My Millenium Eye tells me that at least 1 NMB48 will be Senbatsu :^O^: :^O^: :^O^:

4. wendychi

wendychi Member

Oshimen:
    Masumoto Kira
    Something that's irking me is that this is happening in September and there'll only be 58 AKB members. So the girls who get added to Team 4 after the initial 10 probably won't be in the tournament. Not sure if want. ._.

Anyways, NACCHAN FOR CENTRE :cute:

5. Jasey

Jasey Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

The preliminary rounds for NMB and SKE were announced.

7/13 - SKE tournament brackets chosen @ event at SKE theatre.
    7/16 - NMB Preliminary Round (1st gen + 2nd gen)
    7/20 - SKE Preliminary Round (all 57 members)

The results from the two sister groups should be interesting to see. An unpopular girl from AKB48 getting in senbatsu is one thing, but an unpopular girl from SKE/NMB is a completely different level. I think someone like Ogiso, Kizaki, Hiramatsu or Nakamura from SKE would be good 8D

6. wendychi

wendychi Member

Oshimen:
    Masumoto Kira
    :^O^: :^O^: :^O^: :^O^: :^O^:

7. loveandcoffee

loveandcoffee Kenkyuusei

what do you mean?__?

I think that the only category that could get some kind of benefit from being centre would be the low, mid-low senbatsu/top undergirls members: girls whose face and name are not completely unknown, people have a basic idea about them, and what's left is just to get people know them better. Mayucchi was a nobody. The janken effect was that people learned her name, face, and stuck the label of Janken Queen on her. This kind of label wouldn't get stuck on, say, Chiyuu or Yuka or Myao or *just throwing it out there* Sae :awesome:

having said that, I will thank the lord every day until Christmas if Haachan somehow miraculously gets to the top. :awesome: :awesome:

8. RocketStarLauncher

RocketStarLauncher Member Retired Staff

Oshimen:
    Sato Natsuki
    ^I think Jasey's talking about fan support? I mean, I'm obviously not liking the idea of having SKE and NMB in the single in the first place, so if one of those girls won it, I would probably hold it against her, even though it would totally not be her fault.

I agree that the center position would really only help mid/low senbatsu a lot, but depending on how the single is done, it could provide a huge boost to any girl, provided it A) isn't marketed as just a janken single (complete with matching lyrics) and B) suits the center and puts her in a definite spotlight.

Last time with Chance no Junban, we had a multitude of problems:

- Ucchi may have been the center and may have gotten lots of screentime, but let's face it, the song wasn't built to really differentiate a center. Look at songs that are marketed with a specific center: Iiwake Maybe, Heavy Rotation, and Beginner. The election singles both have solo lines, and every single one of Beginner's formations are put together to direct attention to whichever girl is that performance's center. Chance no Junban's center-featuring felt like a Stage song, in the respect that it's supposed to show a bunch of girls.

- Junban's composition was bleh. It was a bleh song to begin with that sounds like a multitude of other AKB sons, but then they didn't even add a bridge or anything to make the "plot" of the song interesting. Other singles have a third melody other than the verse and a chorus. This makes almost any song better... but they just all they did was lower the instrumental for a while in the last chorus. That doesn't count.

- Promotion was terrible. They were on a few shows, but everything stayed really generic, just like the single. They used the same costume as they did in the PV, and MCs during the program focused on "Oh, that's kind of cool that Ucchi can do janken well, ACCHAN, what's up with you? We miss you!" Most news programs and magazines immediately following the tournament talked more about Sashihara winning against Yuko and how Takamina and Mayu didn't get in. All of this coverage did nothing to push Uchi, but rather show that Sasshi has more money backing her than the US's National Debt.

Sorry for the ranting, but as an Ucchi fan, I think they did nothing to help her along. Jurina centered Oogoe Diamond and they worked hard to push her. Why couldn't they do that with Mayumi? It's sad.

I don't know, I just think that if they made an AKB-quality single, the girl who gets center will get more fans, rather than what they did with Chance no Junban.

9. Kay

Kay Kenkyuusei

I agree RSL. It's really sad that Ucchi got almost nothing out of her time as center other than the fact that everyone recognizes her as the Janken girl.

What I'm ~hoping~ they do with this Janken single is to promote it like any other single. Give it more than one costume, make the song memorable, market it, and put effort into promoting the girls who actually made it into senbatsu. The A-Side is supposed to be the main song of a single and that is the song that is supposed to sell the single- not the other way around. If they really wanted to make an outstanding single, they'd make both A and B-Sides amazing and wow us all. I'm just fearing that if the senbatsu ends up being a repeat of last years 'nobodies' than the same thing will happen. Acchan will magically appear in all promotion and all the other girls will get nothing from this.

But consider this: One of the main problems I'm seeing with AKB right now is, because of the heavy push of Kami7- the casual fans don't know any other girls in AKB other than those seven, so if those seven are not in the single/release/event/whatever it is, casual fans won't be interested in it and it won't be sell-able to them. In order for AKB to sell anything, a Kami7 member must be present for it to generate any sort of large and/or reasonable profit. This is the problem AKB is facing right now, they only rely on Kami7 to sell and all the other girls are there for the wotas/die-hards/people who just like unpopular members (I know there's a name for this...) fans to enjoy. This is why Acchan magically appeared in senbatsu for Chance even though she didn't make it- they needed her to tell the casual fans that yes, they were in fact looking at AKB48 and this was an AKB48 single. (Alright, this may be going OT, but do we have a thread to discuss stuff like this? I thought I saw one once...)

Kay

10. maxaroni

maxaroni Kenkyuusei

Her janken video. She ignored her cameraman and said a lot of untasteful things and then when she got 2nd place she was like 'oh hehe are you going to use that footage from earlier~?' to cover it up.

11. Saya

Saya Kenkyuusei

I saw that, but still didn't get why everyone thought she was so bitchy. She seemed fine to me.

12. maxaroni

maxaroni Kenkyuusei

^If you were on camera and knew that thousands of people would eventually be watching you, would you display yourself like you're better than a lowly cameraman or would you be humble? Natsumi was way worse than Harukyan, but I can see where Harukyan was an issue =/

13. ithebigc

ithebigc Stage48 Admin Retired Staff

Twitter:
    ithebigc
    Meh, not excited nor happy. I'm all for changing the lineup once in a while, but I wanted something different than janken. The tagline of last year's tournament was that idols need a bit of luck to succeed too, and that worked fine for last year. However, this year I was hoping they would focus on some other quality that idols need to succeed....I don't know what, but there has to be something more essential than luck. Making it annual takes the purpose out of such a tournament, and now it's nothing more than another marketing gimmick

14. Pan-chan

Pan-chan Kenkyuusei

Go Tanamin.

15. GATX105

GATX105 Member

I really like this concept. It gives other girls a chance to be part of the actual single.

That said, I really wish it were based on some other competition with skill and effort rather than pure luck. It would have been great if girls can sort of practice/prepare/train to improve their chances or give a great effort during the event but that's not the case with janken. You just go there and hope you're lucky.

The bye spots (there's going to be 14) should go to the SKE/NMB members since they would have to battle it out to even get to the 71 that are participating.

:)

16. joooooooooe

joooooooooe Member Retired Staff

Twitter:
    OsakaJooooooooe
    i completely agree with RSL.

i felt like CnJ was like the black sheep of AKB48 where they swept it under the carpets as soon as Sakura no Ki ni Narou came out.

the song itself was pretty meh. hell the song was about the janken tournament, that was pretty awful.

when i realized that uchida didn't even make the UG i felt really bad. i mean you're center on the single, and although you *should* have the chance to promote yourself, you really didn't get to. there was no place in the song for you to really shine.

even promotion wise i hardly remember CnJ going anywhere. i only remember uchida being the free clock on the psp akb 1/48 game and her name being written in color.

one of my favorite things about akb48 is seeing people grow and improve, especially once they're given the chance to shine. that's probably why i love kami7, because they're all first-gen members. it's probably why i like nmb48 now, because it's like i'm getting on the train before it's leaving.

i was really disappointed with CnJ in that they didn't get the chance to shine. and it's not like uchida isn't talented... i finally saw the aki matsuri dvd and she was great, loved her performance with ooya.

17. MrMojo

MrMojo Kenkyuusei

With the way AKB is now, management wants to "acknowledge" the "fairness" of their system by doing the Janken tourney. Or at least pretend to show their "willingness" for it publicly. Sounds like a farce, doesn't it :hmm:

No matter what happens, it's business, pure and simple!
    Management will "always" push the (top) senbatsu members because the girls are widely known and popular so... it means "money" in the bank cater singles/albums/shows, whatever... using the Top girls [aup]

Is anyone really naive about this :^^;:

Uchida wasn't promoted well but the Janken tourney allowed me to get to know her and the rest of the UG which I didn't know about much. I learned many of the girls' names/appearances because of that for which I'm grateful and saw them in concert for the 1st time in Singapore. What an experience [clap]

Let's hope management actually DO something this time such as promoting the girls in this event! We should all support the girls regardless who makes it [rock]

That said...

I do want Yuko to make it as center again or Yukirin (just to anger her anti's) :hehe: or Sasshi [as I've come to like her very much after watching her show]. For all I care, anyone can be center except Acchan (I like her but she's "always" be center no matter what [sealed] ) so let's add some variety to it [hehe]

18. sikanwan

sikanwan Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Twitter:
    sikanwan
    So I guess you are talking about this one ...
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WkfI2_zfkw[/yt]
    I have never seen an AKB48 video with so many dislikes on youtube ... :fear:

Do you know whether there are any sub for this video?
    I really wanna understand what happened ...

19. PoIyrhythm

PoIyrhythm Kenkyuusei

She's the only AKB48 girl I've ever wanted to slug in the face.

20. SugarYumYum

SugarYumYum Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    tashimameru
    I normally don't pay attention to these things but I couldn't help but go 'did she really just shut the door in that guy's face?' :blink: