OH CANADA where are you s48 members?

Discussion in '48 Group Fans Worldwide' started by gyan, Aug 19, 2010.

1. barilbaril

barilbaril Kenkyuusei

There's a big vegetable farm on St-Joseph!?!?!?!?!?! (gone are the days of Mr Pete's and Monsieur Leblanc, LOL) I thought that St-Joseph Blvd was pretty dead with Innes Rd development. Good on the guy who refused to sell his land!!

2. ajseguin

ajseguin Kenkyuusei

yea it's called the orleans fruit farm or vegetables... not sure... yea they have a field of pumpkins next to the 174... but yea st-joseph is still pretty dead... lots of good store that closed... like the awesome micro play :(

3. barilbaril

barilbaril Kenkyuusei

The only store I really loved back in my uni days was the anime shop in front of Kelly's Funeral Home, LOL! But it closed at about the same time I moved to Japan. How's the anime/j-music scene (is there one?) in Ottawa. I used to shop in Chinatown (Sommerset) in Ottawa... I guess I'll know when I go back, ehehehehe!!!

4. ajseguin

ajseguin Kenkyuusei

I'm not sure... but i know slowly getting better, last year we had Comic Con Ottawa, i'm pretty sure it's coming back this year. I know there's a few comic book/ manga/ board games stores here and there...

5. Akira Hitoshi

Akira Hitoshi Kenkyuusei

Majijo's Rooftop, staring at the clouds...
    Oshimen:
    Watanabe Mayu
    Anime North in about 3 months!! Whose going???! [shock] [rock]

6. ajseguin

ajseguin Kenkyuusei

that's in Toronto right?

7. mieniem

mieniem Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    kuramochiasuka
    ^ Yup, i thinking of going, although it depends who the guests are.

8. barilbaril

barilbaril Kenkyuusei

^
    When do these events take place, esp. the Ottawa one?

9. Akira Hitoshi

Akira Hitoshi Kenkyuusei

Majijo's Rooftop, staring at the clouds...
    Oshimen:
    Watanabe Mayu
    Sorry for the late response, but yeah, it's in Toronto. [rock] It's actually held at the Toronto Congress Center to be exact, and I think it starts near the end of May

10. ajseguin

ajseguin Kenkyuusei

Ottawa comic con is may 10 to 12

11. barilbaril

barilbaril Kenkyuusei

^Thanks!
    And no way I can make it, LOL!!! I've never attended an anime convention!! Sounds like fun!!! It's not something I could do here in Japan... :lol:

12. Faint

Faint Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    gabrielamargarethwarouw
    Oh cool, this thread was active for a while after I posted in here but I missed it [rain]
    I've never been east of Saskatchewan to be honest, but I'd love to visit the east coast. I want to see all of this huge country. My life has been confined to BC and Alberta. I'd also love to visit the territories.

13. ajseguin

ajseguin Kenkyuusei

I have some friends who went on a road trip last summer from Ottawa to Vancouver, it took them a whole month to go and come back.

14. barilbaril

barilbaril Kenkyuusei

LOL, well the farthest I've been is Winnipeg!!! I have family in Saskatchewan, but I'm too far to visit. I'd love to see Alberta... I did a project on the province back in 4th grade and I've been wanting to go ever since.

Ha, I totally believe it, it would definitely take a month to drive from Ottawa to BC, especially if you want to see all the sites!

15. ajseguin

ajseguin Kenkyuusei

I was trying to compare the size of Canada vs Japan... driving wise... according to google map you can go from Kagoshima to Wakkanai (most northern point) in aprox. 36 hours for 2600KM (I must say i'm suprised by the amount of toll roads... Plus there is a ferry to get to Saporo, I think that adds some time...)

And If you go from the Ontario/quebec boarder then drive straight on the transcanadian all the way to the boarder of Manitoba, it's about 2100KM for a 23hours drive... and that's driving on one highway....

I am still amazed how Canada is freaking huge...

16. barilbaril

barilbaril Kenkyuusei

^WHOA!!!!
    Yep, Canada's huge, so most of my students are surprised that I've never set foot in western Canada!!! (yeah, 'cause to most of them, Canada = Vancouver... or PEI--aka Anne of Green Gables!!!)

Yeah, toll roads are just... urgh. But they sure beat using local roads... can you say TRAFFIC??!!? Japanese all go to the same place at the same time... *sigh*...

17. ajseguin

ajseguin Kenkyuusei

yea I guess having to roll at 60-70km/h for 5 mins on the highway in my morning commute is some first world problems? :p I can't imagine how the metros must be crazy near business areas...

18. barilbaril

barilbaril Kenkyuusei

A year ago, I took the train with my three kids when I went to Tokyo Disney Sea... BAD IDEA, as it was rush-hour. The train was packed but was still opening its doors to let people in. I had to hold my then 3 year old son but I was worried about my 8 and 6 year olds, who, being small, were being crushed by adults. I couldn't even see their heads!!! So sometimes, using the highway is better... it's costlier and there's a lot of traffic but at least, it's more comfortable than standing in an overcrowded train!

19. ajseguin

ajseguin Kenkyuusei

Yea i love driving vs. using public transit... but i'm also from a more rural area where I didn't have bus when I grew up. I was wondering and maybe you can answer since you live in Japan. Can a Canadian easily acquire a Japanese licence?

20. barilbaril

barilbaril Kenkyuusei

^
    YES!!! (and we're so lucky!!) Canadians just need to have their canadian license translated to prove it's a valid driver's license.

It took me years to realise this as my other foreigner friends had to go to driving school in order to get a japanese license. I heard it's not easy to get... So I drove around using an international license which is fine if you go back to your home country every year to renew it. It's not something I could do, so I drove with the same international license for 3 years in a row. I wasn't arrested for it, just given a warning, when I went to inform myself on how to get a japanese license.

Now that my canadian license is expired, all I have is my japanese one. Which means that if I decide to go back to Canada to live, I'll need to get a new license... (same goes for my health card... the only card that doesn't expire is my SIN card).